Reading the paper.
– Give me your hand.
We hold hands.
He reads our horoscope aloud. We are both Aquarius.
– You will have to hold a loved one’s hand and guide them through a situation they do not feel comfortable with. Unlike you, they will find it hard to accept, let alone enjoy, new experiences. Show them the way.
A big Dodge parks in the driveway. Two men in dark, formal clothes get out. They are carrying religious looking binders.
– These are my friends, the Jehovah Witnesses.
– Come in. Sit down.
I hide in my bedroom.
I hear Dad breathe his way to his room and back to the living room.
– I thought for a lark I’d show you mine.
He has the Family Bible.
Curious, I eavesdrop from the hall.
– Love God and love thy neighbour as yourself. That’s the key of all faith.
– If you have that, you don’t need anything else.
– What about Paradise?
– None of that matters.
They discuss. They laugh.
– We should move on.
The man says.
– We have the Mormons come by too. They’re very nice people.
They leave. I come out.
– My Dad used to talk with the Jehovah Witnesses.
– He told them to come at lunchtime and Mom would feed them.
He reminisces about his friends of different faiths.
– My friend Jerry was a Jehovah Witness. His daughter ran away with a man and the church told him to shunt her. He was an elder but refused to do that to her. His marriage broke up over it.
– He told me the best friends he ever had never spoke to him after that.
– Only God knows what’s right.
– I opened the bible and there was all my money in it.